SPECIALIST HIGH SKILLS MAJOR (SHSM): TRANSPORTATION
What is a Specialist High Skills Major (SHSM)?
The SHSM is a ministry-approved specialized program that allows students to focus their learning on a specific economic sector while meeting the requirements for the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) and assist in
their transition from secondary school to apprenticeship training, college, university, or the workplace.
A SHSM enables students to gain sector-specific skills and knowledge in the context of engaging,
career-related learning environments, and helps them focus on post secondary goals.
Ontario Ministry of Education, 2008. Reach Every Student
The Specialist High Skills Major Program in Transportation builds a strong foundation for students who wish to move on to further study and training in specialized areas of transportation technology. It provides practical skills for those who wish to move directly into to the workplace. This program:
- is offered to grade 11 and 12 students
- enhances the high school experience with learning outside the classroom
- provides opportunities to meet with employers and experts in the field
- enables students to earn sector recognized certification and training
- provides a diversity that allows for apprenticeship, college, university or workplace destinations
- provides students with the opportunity to work towards their Level 1 Common Core Heavy Duty Equipment Technician / Truck and Coach Apprenticeship
General information about SHSM from Ontario's Ministry of Education
Further information about the Transportation SHSM from Ontario's Ministry of Education